tisdag 7 oktober 2014

September and Q3 Update

September is over. My portfolio lost some market value this month for the first time this year. I never thought it would go as well as it has and I have to keep reminding myself that I shouldn't expect these kinds of return all the time. So far I'm up 22% YTD and since I started investing last year. I'm happy about it but shouldn't let it go to my head :) This month has already kicked my but somewhat but I'm not particularly worried. I now get to buy more companies with cheap valuations.

The Phoenix Group and Iron Mountain had their ex-dates during the month so I won't see that income until next month. This means that there is a lag or dip in total portfolio value. Since I do, in fact, sell securities at some point in time, I think it's is a good measurement for me to track progress in total portfolio value. I also use total return in order to compare it to a funds to see if it was worth investing privately or not. Now I've found I enjoy investing a lot as a hobby besides the added benefit of long term economic security. Back to the dividends, Iron Mountian had one regular dividend and one special dividend. The special dividend is in the form of 80% shares and 20% cash or 100% cash. I did not have the option of choosing shares through my Swedish broker which I would have liked. I'm still considering adding to my position in IRM with the dividends combined with some fresh capital but we will see what looks attractive at the end of the month.

The dividends recieved during September are the following:
DateTickerSharesAmount (SEK)Amount (USD)
2014-09-16ARCP190112.9615.59
2014-09-22Awilco Drilling2251852.17255.64

With current exchange rates my dividend for the year are the following:
March 199$
April 267$
May 384$
June 578$
July 15$
August 35$
September 271$
Total: 1750$

As I mentioned above I aim for total return, dividends are a big contributor but not the only source of return. My "trading return" YTD is 1127$, i.e. what I've gained or lost from selling securities over the year. I aim to earn more from this type of return by buying undervalued stock. My one disappointment for the year so far is that I've bought and sold way more than planned, around 40 transactions. Some of the transactions have been dollar cost averaging but I'm not satisfied with some of the companies I've bought in the past and aim to be more selective with what companies I choose to own in the future.

This year I've collected 1750$ in dividends (12668SEK) which amounts to a yield of 7% with my currents holdings. My expected yearly dividend (i.e. for next year) with current holdings is 2600$ excluding potential dividend increases and special dividends. Awilco Drilling does have power to offset the dividend quite a bit as they are expected to lower their dividend in Q4 2015. Unfortunately they stand for 37% of my dividend income which I hope to remedy in the future.


During the month my only purchase was Kinder Morgan Inc which I wrote about HERE. I feel that KMI will be a good and solid holding for many years to come and still think it's cheap with a >5% dividend and ample growth. I have updated my portfolio page to reflect the changes of this month, as well as sector allocation and currency allocation. Worth to mention; I do believe that KMI with their pipelines are more secure against the recent fall in oil prices because no matter the price of oil it still needs to be transported.

In the future I'm looking to add some BDCs, namely FSIC. MAIN and NMFC are also options I'm considering depending on pricing. In the Nordic markets I'm considering adding to my holdings in Atea or too some of my Norwegian insurance companies. A fellow Swedish blogger also made me notice Admiral (ADM) which is a British car insurer with high margins and a high sustainable dividend which sounded interesting.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar